13 September 2010

Just Doing It

On the right I've included a link to 43things.com. It's a goals site. A place where you make a list (up to 43 things) of what you want to do. You can cheer others and post regarding your progress. Not meaning to sound like an ad, but I loved using as a bridge to start writing more, start sharing more, and ultimately start blogging.

This summer I made it a goal to run/jog 50 miles. By nature I'm more of a walker - about 2 miles a day - but I knew to lose weight I needed to step it up. I decided to make myself start jogging. I had 3 months to do it and a sister who agreed to join me in my quest, so I felt pretty confident. And I made it through the first 25 miles just fine. Well, a lot of huffing and puffing, but all in all, I was on the right track. (so many unintended puns in this post)

Then the summer got busier. I did some traveling. My sister's work schedule changed so she couldn't run with me. My normal jogging place flooded. And I got out of the habit. I went from jogging 3 times a week, to jogging once every other week. My thoughts dwelt more and more on all the things I preferred about walking, and I started bemoaning all the things I hated about running.

Quick example: When you walk, people look at you, then lose interest and look away. When you run - people watch until you pass them, and probably continue to watch. Not all people, of course, but most. It's creepy. (To clarify, I don't stare, but when your peripheral vision is triggered by a person's head turn, you notice.) I've glared; I've ignored; I've started wearing sunglasses so I could steal glances and we wouldn't make awkward eye-contact - they also work to block my peripherals.

Anyway, during this period of low motivation, I came across a quote I recorded years ago. C.S. Lewis once said "Do not waste time bothering whether you 'love' your neighbor; act as if you did. As soon as we do this we find one of the great secrets. When you are behaving as if you loved someone, you will presently come to love him." I kept it because I liked what it said about love, but now I realize it transcends just one idea.

I took this picture while walking, you can't do that when jogging
If you want something done in your life. You need to do it. Then do it again. And when it gets so hard you don't think you will be able to keep going. Do it anyway. The habit comes later. Behave the way you wish you did, and your nature will follow. I finished those miles this morning and it felt great. No more do I dread waking up to run. Instead, I anticipate the sight of a beautiful morning sky, the feel of fresh air flowing through my lungs, and the sound of the steady cadence my shoes make on the ground.

2 comments:

  1. ah, we have a wise one on our hands ; )
    i had to create a list on that site for class once, it was fun...i should look at my old list and see what i've accomplished...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's always easy to get things done when we set achievable goals for ourselves...anyways the ultimate goal should be to feel good about yourself at the end of the day

    ReplyDelete