23 August 2010

A Vicarious Kleptomaniac

I suppress many of the urges I feel. When people say dumb things, I stop myself from saying some biting comment that will make them feel as stupid and they sounded. Whenever I see a lawn sprinkler, I hold back the desire to jump through it - especially if I'm wearing a thin/white t-shirt. And often, I have found the need to resist the impulse of taking something unattended - no matter how valuable. It doesn't matter if the item in question is a necklace or a snazzy paperclip - if no one is watching, I am tempted to take. Luckily, I have a tremendously overactive conscious which enables me to control myself - knowing I will only feel guilty later.

Still, I have lately come to see another way I vent this yearning to break the 8th commandment. I watch movies. I started thinking about all the Heist/Caper/Con Artist films I've seen and I was amazed. So, I am making a list of some of my favorites here. (I see no need to distinguish a heist from a con, so they are all included - I think the main difference is whether the focus is on the thief or the theft, but anyway . . . )


*The Sting - too much to say, just watch
*21 - read the book if the movie let you down
*Catch Me if You Can - read the book even if you did like the movie
*Matchstick Men - wow, just wow
*To Catch a Thief - Hitchcock should have made more of these
*Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels - hilarious


 *Oceans 11, 12, 13 and original rat pack film - all great! (well, 12 was ok)
*The Brother's Bloom - fabulous
*The Thomas Crown Affair - the reason I love Magritte
*The Usual Suspects - Who is Keyser Soze?


*How to Steal a Million - I intend to use a boomerang in all my future heists
*Sneakers - so underrated
*Entrapment - despite the odd romance
*The Italian Job - refering to the remake, but the original's good too

Also, TV Shows
*Leverage
*Hustle

And that doesn't include all the shows and movies that involve stealing (i.e. any espionage or pirate movie ever made).

I'm obsessed, but at least it's a victimless habit - I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment