23 October 2010

Day 22: Something you wish you hadn't done in your life

I've made mistakes. Some have taught me valuable lessons. Some were useless. One of my least favorite mantras is "no regrets." While I appreciate the value of experience, some things are best learned vicariously. My life has saved over and over again because I have seen the poor choices of others and avoided those choices myself. Still, I do wish I could have bypassed a few things. Rather than trying to pick one, however, I am going to resort to one of my lists.

Things I wish I hadn't done:

*Gone through a period of life listening to country music (I blame my JH softball coach)
*Watched the 3rd and 4th seasons of Heroes
*Skipped assignments in high school
*Kept an unprotected journal (my mother read it)
*Worn those pink jeans in grade school
*Waited so long to read Cry, the Beloved Country (and other amazing books)
*Taken the time I had with my grandpa for granted
*Committed myself to the major/career my parents preferred
*Quit taking piano lessons
*Ignored the litter on my walk today

If you can't learn from your mistakes, at least learn from your regrets.

1 comment:

  1. "Watched the 3rd and 4th seasons of Heroes"
    "Kept an unprotected journal (my mother read it)"

    Couldn't agree more with those! I gave up on Heroes part of the way through season 3. What a disappointment! I don't know what happened there.

    And yeah, my mother read my journal too. And found out about my secret "boyfriend" (in 7th grade) and made me "break up" with him. Oh well, live and learn. :)

    ReplyDelete