24 October 2010

Day 23: Something you wish you had done in your life

I feel like this topic implies my life is essentially over. Is this, my 24th year, the year in which I should stop talking about what I want to do and start nostalgically looking back on what I did/didn't do? No, I'm not ready to take on that perspective. I'm still too busy living - or at least trying to sort out this thing we've named life.


Henry Miller, as flawed as he was, certainly had an admirable way of seeing our existence. He jumped in with both feet and recorded his keen observations for anyone who didn't censor literature. Some of my favorite quotations are attributed to him. The above one is pretty good, but a much more better one is his command to "Develop an interest in life as you see it, the people, things, literature, music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself."

I suppose if I were to limit myself to one thing I wish I had done. I wish I had found this statement earlier. Life is so much more amazing if you're just willing to take an interest in it. There are too many things to see, read, feel, hear, and discover to be bored. How much have I missed because I was distracted by my own petty desires?

No comments:

Post a Comment