12 October 2010

Day 11: Something people seem to compliment you the most on

How many times do people have to say you're nice before it's definitely true? Whatever the number, I'm certain I will qualify. 

I think most people intend a compliment when they label a person "nice," but I'm not sure it is one. I hate to take a negative spin on compliments, but whenever I hear the statement, I can't help but believe they really mean "bland" in the place of "nice." I describe people as "nice" when I can think of no other characteristic to comment on. 

I would, however, prefer to considered a boring nice rather than an off-putting mean or rude or inconsiderate.  

I'm keeping this post short because well, I'm a tad bit sickly and colds tend to inhibit my ability to think clearly for long periods of time (or is that the medication?). I'll end with a quote from one of Austen's most enjoyable novels.

 
 "I am sure," cried Catherine, "I did not mean to say anything wrong; but it is a nice book, and why should not I call it so?"

"Very true," said Henry, "and this is a very nice day, and we are taking a very nice walk, and you are two very nice young ladies. Oh! It is a very nice word indeed! It does for everything. Originally perhaps it was applied only to express neatness, propriety, delicacy, or refinement -- people were nice in their dress, in their sentiments, or their choice. But now every commendation on every subject is comprised in that one word." 

No comments:

Post a Comment